Thursday, December 10, 2009

It's Cold

Somewhere else, I mean. Yes, it is something like 23 degrees here but it's really not too bad. I just got back from a walk and I'm not a popsicle or anything. Why was I on a walk at 4:30 am? Because I got tired of rolling around the bed. I don't know if you have this problem but my mind never stops going. It really doesn't. I can quiet it down considerably if I try. Sometimes I distract it. But it just never stops. You say: "Isn't that a good thing? You must solve all types of problems and come up with all kinds of great ideas." Solving a problem is one thing, not 813 things. That's how many ways you end up looking at a problem as you lie in bed for hours. Then if you only had one problem, that would be a joyous occasion. And there are the self-imposed problems, too. Like this blog, for instance. You're here, dear, because I made you by choice. And everyday that I don't post something adds another problem and 813 more solutions.

I've been wanting to talk about the enemy for sometime now but I have a hard time coming up with all of it. Andrew said somewhere(i couldn't find it, see if you can) that Old People are the Enemy. Something like that. Well, I agree. But it's not age that does it. It's an attitude that they get because of their age. It's hard to define but I'm willing to bet that it has something to do with the closing in of impending mortality. We're still young, friends. We're not close to death yet. And if we are, we'll burn out brightly. People will see it. Old people just kind of wither.

I think it's important that we understand why they are the enemy and what makes them so opposed to youth and youthful attitudes before we start killing them. Just so we know who we killed.

I am torn. Should we try to win them over? Or just let them die? Or should we demoralize them before they go by explaining that they're from a different time in history and whatever efforts they've made to preserve that time have been in vain, that we've won, the young will always win because we inherit everything anyway, you can give it to someone else, you can claim no responsibility, put it into trusts, or just burn it on your funeral pyre but you have still left us with everything and we will soon do with it what we wish?

I think one thing I always had a problem with was sticking to the old ways just because they were the old ways. I mean, seriously, how many times have the old ways been so good that no new idea had a chance at improvement? Yet, still they cling to these fucking bones of value like that's all there ever will be.

And maybe I'll get old some day and think that we had all right and these young whipper-snappers don't know what they're doing to my world that I worked so hard on but I doubt it. Maybe I'll die before I get jaded.

No comments: